Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Our So-Called Date Night

Last night I went with the husband to a bible study on family life. It's the first time I've been able to go with him since September because I usually work during that time, but this week I'm on spring break. They should really really extend spring break.

Anyway, the topic was handling conflicts in your marriage, like how to fight, and more importantly how not to. It was great hearing other people's perspectives, but the best part was when the husband and I had to answer some questions privately. I hadn't realized how much I've missed that alone time with him. These days, he comes home from work, and I go off to work. I get home, and it's bedtime.

We still communicate throughout the day. We talk over the phone, we have a few nights a week together, and we do stay up after bedtime sometimes. Still, it's nowhere near like how we used to curl up together and forget about time. It was great not talking about what's for dinner or what the grocery list is for once.

Not that we talked about conflict resolution either. Because after all these years, we have our own way of dealing with arguments, eg. call my sister and have her scold the husband (her response: again?). It may not be the best, but it's not that bad, and it works for us. Besides, there are just too many rules to follow. My brain can't handle remembering more rules.

In other news, my son got an award at school yesterday for cooperation, responsibility, and respect. Really, this is just too much. I think his body is being overtaken by aliens. But only while he's in school.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess none of us have the same relationships we did in the beginning. They certainly do evolve and change, don't they?

Yahoo on the award for your son!

Anonymous said...

Aw, you guys should get away for a weekend w/o the kids so you can keep your bond strong. You can leave Cutie and Football w/ me. I don't want the alien-possessed one even though he has gotten much better. Still, he likes to pick on my daughter and kitty too much.