Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The First Time

On Facebook, people are always passing around one survey or another, like 25 random things about yourself (sorry, that is too hard for me).

Here's one I can answer because it's all about the birth of my firstborn.

1. WAS YOUR PREGNANCY PLANNED? Yes

2. WERE YOU MARRIED AT THE TIME? Yes

3. WHAT WERE YOUR REACTIONS? Joy. Then went out and checked out every single book on pregnancy and baby names from the library.

4. WAS ABORTION AN OPTION FOR YOU? Why would it be when it was planned.

5. HOW OLD WERE YOU? old (hence it being planned).

6. HOW DID YOU FIND OUT YOU WERE PREGNANT? My body felt like it was ovulating again.

7. WHO DID YOU TELL FIRST? The husband of course. Followed shortly by my mother, his mother, and my two sisters.

8. DID YOU WANT TO FIND OUT THE SEX? Desperately but we never found out because she was always blocking it or something. (That surprise upon birth is so overrated compared to the joy of finding out beforehand).

9. DUE DATE? I don't remember. I kept telling them my due date was actually later because of my cycle but them doctors don't listen to anyone.

10. DID YOU DELIVER EARLY OR LATE? Late.

11. WHERE DID YOUR WATER BREAK? In the hospital during contractions.

12. WHAT DID YOU CRAVE? Marinated artichoke hearts and ice cream (but not together).

13. WHO IRRITATED YOU THE MOST? My sisters, for shooting down every decent name we came up with. I finally quit telling them.

14. WHAT WAS YOUR CHILDS SEX? Girl.

15. DID YOU WISH YOU HAD THE OPPOSITE SEX OF WHAT YOU WERE GETTING? I was so relieved because a girl was exactly what I had secretly wanted.

16. HOW MANY POUNDS DID YOU GAIN THROUGHOUT THE PREGNANCY? I gained around 30 pounds.

17. DID YOU HAVE A BABY SHOWER? Yes.

18. WAS IT A SURPRISE OR DID YOU KNOW? It was thrown by my sisters, which meant I pretty much did everything. My sister ordered the cake which said,"Pam's Baby Shower."

19. DID YOU HAVE ANY COMPLICATIONS DURING YOUR PREGNANCY? Besides the backaches, joint pains, swelling, lack of sleep, acid reflux, why no.

20. WHERE DID YOU GIVE BIRTH? Summit Hospital in Oakland.

21. HOW MAY HOURS WERE YOU IN LABOR? Way too many. About 14 hours in the hospital.

22. WHO DROVE YOU TO THE HOSPITAL? My husband

23.WHO WATCHED? My husband, sister, and who knows because after awhile I quit caring.

24. WAS IT NATURAL OR C-SECTION? Au Naturel - my motto.

25.DID YOU TAKE MEDICINE TO EASE THE PAIN? No but I did take some morphine at 2 am so that I could sleep for a few hours.

26. HOW MUCH DID YOUR CHILD WEIGH? 7 lbs 6 oz.

27. DID YOUR CHILD HAVE ANY COMPLICATIONS? None, thankfully.

28.WHAT WAS THE HARDEST THING ABOUT YOUR DELIVERY? Pushing her out. And trying not to push because I wasn't fully dilated (it's impossible).

29. HOW OLD IS YOUR CHILD TODAY? Almost 8 years old. But I shall never forget the details of her birth.

30. OTHER COMMENTS? I was lucky I went with a midwife. She was so patient throughout the long process and didn't question any of my decisions. The doctor for my third birth wanted to give me Pitocin, even though my fluid had already leaked, I was in the hospital, and my labor had already started. He just didn't want to wait around on a Friday night. After I said no, he sent the nurses to convince me. For the first birth, a patient doctor or midwife is a definite must!

Thank you Ann, for asking me to relive the pain and joy.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing it. I did it also. I think that some of them are too hard... 25 albums that have impacted you life. I do not think I can name three!

Becca

Please visit me at http://www.askbecca.com

Chris said...

Interesting stuff.
Artichoke Hearts and Ice Cream huh? Interesting choices.

Jennifer said...

#18 cracked me up! I love this list. It brings back memories of my pregnancy too. :-)