Monday, January 5, 2009

Words to Live By

I adore church. I love singing songs and listening to the preachers, I love that the kids have fun while learning about God, and I love running into our friends and neighbors.

But. There's one thing at church that drives me crazy. Actually, two things, but I'll just mention one for now. The one thing that really bugged me this past weekend were the two people in front of me. They were a lovey dovey couple who could not keep their hands off each other. Throughout the sermon, the man was stroking his partner's hair and rubbing her. Not just a light rub but a deep shiatsu back massage combined with the Swedish treatment. The woman was only a foot in front of me, and the constant massaging was at my eye level. Of course my eyes (and that of the entire biological world) are naturally drawn to movement. Overall it was extremely distracting. I finally had to close my eyes to block them out whereupon I promptly fell asleep.

It's a common occurrence at church. My guess is that these people are new in their relationship and still at that can't-get-enough-of-each-other stage. It happens more often when they're standing up and singing (easier to wrap arms around each other). I've wrapped my arms around the husband and held hands but eventually found it to be in the way of moving to the beat or swaying or lifting my hands. Call me crazy, but I think even the horniest person should be able to put aside their drive for 1.5 hours per week to concentrate on God, Creator of the Universe, Sustainer of Life.

So let me just put it out there. Go to church to focus on God; go anywhere else to focus on body rubs and more.


No comments: