Tuesday, May 2, 2006

First Look

No wonder Tom Cruise bought his own ultrasound machine! Yesterday I had to do an ultrasound screening, and it was just what I needed to get excited about the baby. I completely forgot about the two extra years of poopy diapers, tantrums, etc while I watched the baby pick his/her eye and wiggle around. I'm looking forward to meeting him/her and have new resolve to take care of myself better.

I had to do the first trimester screening because of my "advanced maternal age." Well, I didn't have to. I could've chosen to do the amniocentesis later, but there's a chance of miscarriage that results from the procedure alone, which by the way is equal to my chance of having a Down syndrome baby (the chance of a miscarriage from the amnio is actually greater than the chance of a Down baby for younger moms). Yesterday's screening, called nuchal translucency ultrasound for any interested pregnant women, is much less invasive, with just an ultrasound and a blood test, and the results are 90% accurate.

I'm glad I did it because it was just what I needed. I am relieved to know that there's only one baby (the chance of twins also goes up with advanced maternal age) and that he/she is normal, with no chromosomal abnormalities. No news yet on boy or girl, but I'm just happy with the news that we do have.

No comments: