Sunday, January 22, 2006

A Perfect Sunday

I can't believe how busy I've been the last couple of weeks. Between major chores, entertaining, and catching up on my teaching stuff, I don't even have the time or energy to blog anymore. Thankfully, my to do list is shrinking although there's still quite a bit on it.

Today has been a good day. We had a nice filling breakfast before church, unlike our usual eat-on-the-way deal. And church was really good. The message was about generosity, which is something I feel strongly about, and it was well delivered. I was riveted the whole time. One saying that I really liked was "God does not give you more to raise your standard of living; he gives you more to raise your standard of giving." I'll have to remember that when we strike it rich.

After church, we came home and had a leisurely lunch, then played until naptime. During naptime, I was supposed to go work out, but my class was cancelled so I went to plan B which was getting the car's tires rotated and balanced (what - that's not everyone's plan B?). The weird thing was that if my exercise class had not been cancelled, the tire place would've been closed by the time I got there. I can't help but thank God for preventing certain tragedy from happening.

Since my class was cancelled, I also had time to go to the grocery store and browse through the latest Brangelina pictures. I wonder if they made some sort of pact with each other: you leave your wife for me, I'll have a natural child for you kind of thing. Anyway, besides the normal grocery stuff I had to get, I also bought my favorite ice cream for a mere 50 cents. The quart was on sale for 2.50, but I had a $1 off coupon, which got doubled, so that left only 50 cents I had to pay. While the money saved is negligible, the satisfaction is great!

By the time I got home, naptime was over, and we rounded the kids up for dinner out with our friends Andrew & Heena and their kids. The restaurant wasn't so eager to have us, I think, with our 5 kids. But we stuffed ourselves anyway and had a good time catching up. The kids, too, are becoming fast friends.

So that's pretty much it. Nothing individually outstanding, but all together, it was about as perfect as a day gets: worshipping and learning about God, relaxing and playing with the kids, doing a productive errand, getting something good for dirt cheap, and then communing with friends. Actually, the fact that I didn't have to exercise made the day that much better. Top all of those things off with a wind-down blog and a few minutes of reading, and it just doesn't get any better.

No comments: