Thursday, September 3, 2009

First Day of Homeschool

Here's how it went. The kids woke up at 10 am. An hour later, my oldest was sitting nicely at the table doing her math worksheets. My son was upside down on the couch chanting,"I don't wanna do homeschool, I don't wanna do homeschool..."

I actually caved in and gave him the choice of going back to public school or homeschooling. Just tell me, which one do you want to do?

None of them.


Good to know it's not just me.

So I had do school his way. He chose a book to read to me. He chose when to end math. As I read about nomads in ancient history, he walked around like a caveman devouring the toy food set. When he "depleted" all the food, he dumped the food somewhere else and devoured it all over again.

As we talked about amphibians and the life cycle of a frog, he leap-frogged and ribbetted around the living room.

Instead of writing a story in his journal, he ended writing all the titles of his favorite cartoons. They include Ice Age 1, Ice Age 2, Ice Age 3,
Madagascar 1, Madagascar 2, Spiderman, Transformers, just to name a few. Then he drew pictures from each cartoon. He spent a good long time working on it.

He really enjoyed spelling time, only because he loved making up crazy sentences with each word. Such as, the baby made poopoo on the rug.

I spent less than an hour doing one-on-one with my daughter. The rest of the day was devoted to my boy. Finally, I had to get ready for work (the first day of which naturally has to fall on the first day of homeschool) and called it quits.

To my surprise and eventual annoyance, my boy kept coming around and asking,"Can we do more?" When the husband came home and asked how everything went, my son replied,"Homeschool was fun! I liked homeschool."

Yeah, I'll bet he did.

Meanwhile, I'm working on a puppet show about nouns and verbs. Will someone please shoot me.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're the best mommy and teacher there is!

Michelle said...

LOL....You are a GREAT mom!

Jaime said...

Stumbled on your blog via blogher. You are awesome. I admire you and your patience in homeschooling. Love your blog. Can't wait to read more of your entries.