Monday, June 30, 2008

Vacation Bible School

Last week, we were busy with our summertime ritual known as Vacation Bible School, or VBS. It was run by our church from 8:45 to 12:30, and only the older two went, but still, it took a lot out of us. We all had to wake up early, me especially to get stuff ready. Made me really, really glad we homeschool and don't have to do it everyday. Don't hate me for this but I never use my alarm clock except for VBS week. In the afternoon, it took us about 15 minutes to pick up the kids in their different classes while stopping to chat with other moms, another 15 minutes to make it out of the parking lot (there were 2000+ kids attending), and another 30 minutes to drive home thanks to those signal lights who I think were programmed by teen pranksters (haha, let's see how many times we can get the cars to stop). Suddenly I am very passionate about signal light timing. Anyway, by the time lunch was ready, it was 2:00, which every decent mother knows is way too late.

After cleaning up and sending the little ones to nap, I would pass out on the couch, with the two older kids doing who knows what. They would ask me,"can we draw on the wall?" and I would say,"mmph" which they took to mean as yes. I tried to blog around that time, but I was just so brain dead.

It would have been worse if I had volunteered at VBS like some of the other moms. They had to get there extra early and stay extra late. I did it last year, but the two babies hated being in childcare for that long and cried a lot. Plus, I figured this would be a good way to get some alone time with my younger daughter, which is very rare. Turns out she just fights with her baby brother and rebels with me. Go figure.

VBS was worth it, though. The kids had an absolute blast. They played outdoor games, made crafts, had snacks, listened to Bible stories, learned about missions in other countries, and (this is the best part) sang songs with Jana Alayra. They're still running around singing,"It's so good to know that no matter where I go, you will always be with me, Lord." What's even cuter is that as they do the motions along with the songs, their baby brother joins in and copies them.

We had an extremely good and tiring week. I will continue with pictures, as soon as I figure out how to download and upload them from the website.

No comments: